This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Three Wise Tales

"In Latin, senex means "old man." More properly, and without the gender attribution, the symbol of the elder can be understood as the senescent force: that which acts in a way that is peculiar to the aged.
In fairy tales, this aged force is personified by an old person who is often portrayed as one-sided in some way, indicating that one's psychic process is also developing in a one-sided manner. Ideally, an old woman symbolizes dignity, mentoring, wisdom, self-knowledge, tradition-bearing, well-defined boundaries, and experience... with a good dose of crabby, long-toothed, straight-talking, flirtatious sass thrown in for good measure.
But when an old fairy-tale woman uses these attributes negatively, as in "The Red Shoes" we are forewarned that aspects of psyche that should remain warm are about to be frozen in time. Something normally vibrant within the psyche is about to be starched flat, given a drubbing, or distorted beyond recognition. When the child enters the old woman's gilded carriage and subsequently her household, she is captured just as surely as if she purposely stuck her paw into a double DD fang-hanger trap.
As we see in the tale, being taken in by the old woman, rather than dignifying the new, allows the senescent attitude to destroy innovation. Rather than mentoring her ward, the old woman will attempt to calcify her. The old woman in this tale is not a sage, but rather is dedicated to repetition of a single value without experimentation or renewal."
Women Who Run with the Wolves, Estes


"Have done with learning.
And you will have no more vexation.

How great is the difference between "eh" and "o"?
What is the distinction between "good" and "evil"?
Must I fear what others fear?
What abysmal nonsense this is!

All men are joyous and beaming.
As though feasting upon a sacrificial ox,
As though mounting the Spring Terrace;
I alone am placid and give no sign,
Like a babe which has not yet smiled.
I alone am forbidden as one who has no home to return to.

All men have enough and to spare:
I alone appear to possess nothing.
What a fool I am!
What a muddled mind I have!
All men are bright, bright:
I alone am dim, dim.
All men are sharp, sharp:
I alone am mum, mum!
Bland like the ocean,
Aimless like the wafting gale.

All men settle down in their grooves:
I alone am stubborn and remain outside.
But wherein I am most different from others is
In knowing to take sustenance from my Mother!"
Tao Teh Ching, Lao Tzu


"What I thought I was doing was being in love. What I was doing was just like every other sorry man I'd ever known. Running from one woman to another. Running from mother to wife. Head still up one woman's cunt while stuck like a dog's dick fucking in the other.
At the edge, where the rock stuck out the furthest, as far as you can go, the wind came down to me and blew on the grass around me, blew on my ears and my eyes. I could smell the wind. Smelled of me. I picked up a sharp piece of granite. Took the granite and scratched a circle all the way around me. I stood in the center of the circle and made it known, loud and clear, to the spirit of the mountain, Not-Really-A-Mountain, and to anybody else who wanted to hear, that from then on I was free of woman's hole. That I had pulled my head out. I had pulled my dick out. I was free, unencumbered.
And if, in fact, a man needed a woman, then I'd make a part of myself that woman for me."
The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon, Tom Spanbauer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have owned the Clarissa Pinkola book. I no longer do, as I've gotten rid of most of my stuff to be free from the weight of junk. I can now travel lightly. If I had it in my hands I am certain i'd find a story or two about the broken maiden reliving her misery over and over again, lost in self destruction, in the neediness that obsession fulfills, and in the self flagelating women do, because abuse has stolen from them their self worth, esteem and dignity. Won't somebody save her? No, they see her need and vulnerability from afar and conive to exploit it.

Some people are beneath you.

You know how to reach me. If you do uproot yourself and need a friend in your new remote and deserted home, built up around someone elses life, isolated from anything you know, if you need help or a friend or an ear, please contact me. I will be your lifeline.

Manny of Clarissa's stories reminded me of the disconnect women have with their bodies and with other women. This is no competition. This is a heartfelt concern for you. You won't be alone. Keep that in mind.

And with that, I bid farewell, until you choose further contact. If you don't, or do, whatever happens, I wish you the very best and brightest.

Hadj said...

When you thought I said "I have a big jade stalk", what I meant was "I have a big jaded stalker. Sorry about the confusion. that d and er are very important in that phrase. Der.

ShanaRose said...

I am an adult. I am making choices for myself. All the material which you try and use to scare me, has been previously, calmly, and openly discussed.

And...a word, in fairness, and ending from the man himself:
"YES, THANK YOU Kali.
Yes, Thank you to all that brought me to this place – I bow to the goddess in all of you that gave me the light I needed to see my path.
A request to all that have been with me on separate paths: allow for growth in me - as I pray for your growth, allow me to forgive you and myself - as I pray for your forgiveness of yourself and me, allow me to be what I want to be without a skewed view - as I pray that I show all of you in a light that reveals beauty, most of all allow me to be my highest dream - as I pray for you to have the life you dream of in your highest most beautiful dream.
Allow us to pass like ships in the night, both flags dipped, I will dip mine first. Please allow this to pass. Let’s all please let go, and bid each other safe travels.
Harmony will be forged with strict self knowledge, and tempered with acceptance of each other as we are in each moment."

FIN.