Pages

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

Thursday, August 20, 2009

When the Last Sentence is the One You Need

I'm scanning down the page unable to focus when his words come off it. I am rapturous then:
The wish to portray my own inner life has shoved every-thing else into the background; everything else is stunted, and continues to be stunted." "Often," he adds at another time, "I am seized by a melancholy though quite tranquil amazement at my own lack own feeling...that simply by consequence of my fixation upon letters I am everywhere else uninterested and in consequence heartless." This calm melancholy perception is actually, however, a source of much disquiet, and the disquiet is religious in its nature.
-Homage, by Thomas Mann for The Castle, by Franz Kafka

No comments: