Pages

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer Book Review! Low Down

The bike riding season had made a noticeable dent in the number of books I read; then with all the e-dating and wellness drama I didn't pick up another spiny backed friend for several weeks. Candy Girl, by Diablo Cody, got me back into the game; a quick read with some laugh out loud moments, an "aha" moment in which I related to the author/narrator, and the best line- from when she talks about another day walking in strippers' heels: "In direct opposition to the 1987 Swayze edict, everybody puts Baby in a goddamned corner."

Oh, books. Hooray for them.
So I picked up another one after speeding through Cody's fluffy bildungsroman. Holding the paperback calmed and focused me, reminded me what quality time is all about. Predictably, I'm calmed for one moment by the written word and the very next popped in the kisser with an idea:

Subterranean Fire's Summer Book Review
(woo hoo!)

the Gist: give me titles! synopses! recommendations! I'll choose a book, make it my duty to read at least two a month, and review each of them based on my exquisite taste and beta training.

that brief "caste" mention above is the perfect segue into my first review.
and now you, reader, drop me a comment with a book suggestion, so I can start me next read!

4 comments:

Laura said...

I think you'd like The Time Traveler's Wife. It's set in Chicago, and the characters (in their youth) are those kind of cool twentysomethings that hang out at retro-stylee Chi landmark clubs that I can picture you in. But the story is about a guy who travels through time, but he doesn't know how or when he'll do it, and he meets his wife in this fashion. Read an Amazon synopsis for something more clear. I'd give you my copy, but I just passed it on to my sister.

I love Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster. She's got a fun blog - www.jennsylvania.com, where I got twatwaffle from. It's a memoir about her being an executive in a hot Chicago business and then getting laid off after 9/11 and losing everything but her sense of humor. It's a FUN GREAT summer read. And again, she talks about Chicago a lot and she still lives here, and I think that's so cool. Again, just shoved that off to my sis.

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. About 4 strangers who run into each other on the top of a London building on New Year's Eve 1999 - to kill themselves. They convince each other not to and build a strange friendship over the next year. Def a dark comedy. Sis has my copy. Ha!

Twinkie, Deconstructed. The author breaks down every ingredient in a Twinkie and tracks them down to the source. Good info on processed foods. Not really a novel, but...

And for just fun reading, check out the Size 12...series by Meg Cabot (author of Princess Diaries). Size 12 is Not Fat, Size 14 is Not Fat, Either, and Big Boned. It's a 3-book series about a faded teen pop-star who's in her late twenties and works as a dorm assistant at an NYC college and stumbles into solving crimes. They're cute books, really, and I fell in love with the guilty inner monologues of the heroin.

That's it. Read AWN!

Laura said...

Nickel and Dimed. Finished that last week. The middle-aged writer experiments with trying to get by on minimum wage jobs in 1998. Kind of outdated, but relevant. She complains about the gas prices...when they were $1.98! I grew up working all those jobs she tried to get by on, and I ended the read feeling lucky I don't work that crap anymore; not since I moved here, at least. Can you imagine trying to scrape by in this town on min. wage? Suck.

pulley-whipped said...

I was told there'd be Cake by Sloane Crosley.

It's fashizzle. (I think..I haven't read it yet b/c people keep checking it out at the library)

You know how I feel about Time-Traveler's Wife.

ShanaRose said...

Hooray! I didn't know there were comments until today. What happened to my e-mail notifications I wonder?

Thanks for the others Laura!
I've already read The Time Traveler's Wife, last summer. Ms. Pulley and I agree that we weren't crazy about it. I don't know her reasons, but for me, the author just went on too much. The story itself is really imaginative and good (I think), and the writing is usually ok, but the Chicago references wore on me actually. It was fun at first knowing exactly which corner, in which neighborhood, the characters were standing but got to be out of hand, I felt like the book could have been a quarter length shorter simply for this reason.
Also the ending. I just didn't like how sitcom the ending was. I guess the little girl's inheritance was the straw that broke the back of my willing suspension of disbelief camel.

I've got my list! Library here I come! :)