This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Met Asphalt with "Forcible Impact"

I crashed my bike at approx. 8:15 Wednesday night. The crash was bad enough to cause scary visual flash-backs to the trauma of 'going down' and also to keep me in the hospital for 48 hours.

I didn't have on a helmet. Not because I'm too cool, but because I was too cheap to buy one and too cocky to believe I really needed one. Erroneous thinking corrected.
I have this bad habit of needing to learn the hard way. I'm lucky because I did not crack my head open. I did crack my liver though. I'm lucky because I did not crack the case that my liver apparently lives in. This case and its enduring strength kept my liver (Sublime source of all oxygenated blood) from hemorrhaging.

The damage of the bike crash at this juncture seems to be:
5 giant purple/blue/green/yellow bruises on my legs.
Here's one, with Willow, the most recent and cuddly addition to my household




1 damaged right hand. It's yellow/green and chock full of deep road rash on the back. Here's a picture of it from the hospital on Friday. It's pretty gnarly in person.





Lots of little puncture sites on my forearms from all the blood they drew to make sure my liver didn't/wasn't/hadn't hemorrhaged, all encircled by bruises - making them resemble nebulae in my imagination.

Road rash and a shiner on my right eye/bridge of my nose. This is probably my "favorite" injury from the accident. Makes me look super hard core. Everything is changing color as it heals now.




I was in the awful hospital for 48 hours with my cell phone. Of course I took pictures. IVs hurt




And 1 cracked liver which will have to heal itself. I'm going to dig through my natural medicines books today and tomorrow to see about liver support. If any shamans or wise women/men reading have insight or suggestion please comment or email them to me.

I am rubbing arnica cream on the bruises a few times a day and trying to keep all the lacerations on my hands/arms/face wet with neosporine.

I don't know how my bike looks yet. I went down with incredible fortune in front of a Doctor and a back-up EMT. They both saw it happen, stopped their cars and traffic and came to my rescue. They called the ambulance, made sure my brain wasn't damaged, reassured me and called my parents. The doctor took my bike home with her and is going to drop it off today. She said it's not ride-able. I will take the 6 weeks in which I'm forbidden to ride my bike as an opportunity to go to the women's bike workshops around the city finally, learn how to fix my trusty steed and meet other bike oriented ladies.

Thank Goddess I have insurance right now. Holy hell...

Being in the hospital is an awful thing. Hospitals are terrible. Everyone says and knows this, but to experience it makes it clearer. My blood pressure was through the roof when I was in the ER taped to a wooden slab on the gurney, trapped in a monstrous head brace that was causing more pain than any sustained injury. I was shaking and crying and knew that the immediate solution to all my troubles was human touch. Finally my Mom, Aunt and Friend Amanda showed up and I ordered them to put their hands on me immediately. They chuckled, not quite understanding the truth behind my request, but immediately obliged and with much love.

I stopped crying and shaking, my Aunt said my BP dropped like 40 points in a few minutes.

My mom had her clown nose in her purse from when we saw Patch Adams speak last month.

The title of this post comes from the police report. I'll write on the lessons learned another time.

5 comments:

coriander said...

What a scary thing to have happen! I'm glad you're on the mend. I had know idea livers could crack.

coriander said...

Errr...no idea.

Tara said...

*hugs* I'm glad you're alive.

Dandelion root? I think?

ammie said...

Oh my god! I'm so glad you were okay. If you don't have a helmet yet, I'm buying you one ASAP.

ShanaRose said...

I do have a helmet now, and I even wear it!! Now if I could get myself to stop riding with my eyes closed... ;)