Pages

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

Friday, February 22, 2008

Chicago History, Revolution & Advertising: a mash up

It is so interesting to read Chicago history. This city has been in a constant state of people searching for more, scrabbling over one another to get to the top; people being beaten senseless by the machines working against them, sometimes resulting in them either falling through the cracks, running away or rioting. Ok, so that's kind of a narrow view, but I'm the writer, we're focusing where I want.
:)
When I moved here I read The Jungle for the first time. The Jungle isn't about the meat packing industry as much as it's about workers' rights; being beaten into submission by loss or refusal, and in the end, about the participation of masses of people in projects to try breaking the chains they're bound by. Upton Sinclair's last few chapters are ideological, a rallying cry for the newly rising IWW and union workers. It's a gruesome but realistic story of immigrants fighting for rights in Chicago in the 1800s.

I've been thinking about hobos and tramps non-stop for the last several weeks. I've also been thinking a lot about mythology, which is related more to my wanting to know about the old ways I'm drawn to from literary stand points, rather than religious ones.

I keep wanting to write and have been writing by hand, for myself. This usually means 2 things: 1. I'm back building and 2. I'm depressed. Both true and both just existing like little sprites with spears on my shoulders. They prick me into action and prick again when I lapse.

Another good book about Chicago and revolution, before I go: The Spook Who Sat by the Door, by Sam Greenlee. A book about racism in America in the late '60s and the riots that broke out country wide as a result.

Now for something largely unrelated that I just remembered: I watched Rize two weeks ago. It's awesome, watch it. I realized that the images one sees all around urban-metro areas in iPod billboards look like they were totally lifted from the camera work done in this documentary.
Oh advertising...you funny little wizard industry.

2 comments:

ammie said...

Have you read any of the books about Haymarket? There's some amazing stuff about worker's rights in Chicago in relation to that.
Oh, and I'm reading your archives :)

ShanaRose said...

Welcome to my past ;)
I've been wanting to make a "best of" section, this has spurred me.