Pages

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Herbal Newbie

One of the ways I want to re-cultivate my inherent human knowledge is to learn about herbs and their usages. I'd love to be able to grow a few of my own in home-made window boxes beginning in spring time too.

I've been doing the new-age-urban-american thing and taking certain purchase herbs in either pill or powder form for a few years. Mostly I'm familiar with cranberry's properties, due to my urinary tract problems when "dating" men. I recently learned about d-mannose and uva ursi, since I contracted another whopper of a u.t.i. after my visit to see Devyn. Something about my anatomy makes me terribly prone to these bothersome infections and I was looking for prevention methods.

I got this expensive little cannister from Whole Foods called U.T. Vibrance (Crisis Intervention Formula). (Isn't that silly subtitle? Every thing's a fucking crisis in this country.) It has mannose, bearberry, blueberry, cranberry, dandelion, goldenrod, goldenseal root and parsley juice all dehydrated and ground into a powder and I take about a tablespoon in water or 100% cran or blueberry juice every 3-4 hours until the cannister's gone. I've been taking it for about a week and it's really helped. The first days of taking it I would get menstrual cramp type pains within a half hour of ingesting it, but as the infection lessened the pain did too. I'm also trying to cut waaay down on sugar and back on caffeine and alcohol (with success!).

I borrowed a cook book from Devyn called Blissful Detox which is based on Traditional Chinese Medicine. TCM posits the belief that all life has either a hot, cold or neutral quality to it. Based on the book's little questionnaire I'm a cold person so I should eat warming foods. I made a spicy root soup last week with parsnips, celery root and onions as well as curry powder, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, garlic and powdered ginger. It's really yummy! I was shocked by the flavor of the celery root, which is a strong nutty and only mildly celery flavor.

I also printed off a recipe from Darcy Blue today that sounds both warming, delicious and fun to make.

So, I continue in my efforts. Any encouragement or suggestions for herbal uses, reads, or eats appreciated.

1 comment:

eleKtrofly said...

mmm i'm really into herbs too.

especially cannabis sativa-- thats a good one ;)